2011 May 12th
WhitePages Gears Up for HP Veer Smartphone from AT&T with Launch of On-the-Go Directory for HP webOS
New HP webOS app delivers local search for people and businesses, location-aware Store Locator, Caller ID lookup and contact updates for any webOS device
SEATTLE – May 12, 2011— WhitePages (http://www.whitepages.com) today announced the availability of a new on-the-go directory app for HP webOS in support of the launch of HP Veer 4G from AT&T(1) on May 15th, 2011 and this summer’s release of the HP TouchPad. Available on any HP webOS device running webOS 1.4.1 or higher, the new app offers webOS enthusiasts quick access to clear and concise contact information for people and businesses—addresses, phone numbers, maps and driving directions, website link, hours of operation for popular stores and ‘save to contacts’ functionality to keep phone address books up to date.(2, 3)
“Our mobile strategy is to make the WhitePages directory available to as many consumers as possible, no matter what device or operating system they may use,” said Bret Moore, general manager of WhitePages Mobile. “We were one of the first companies to aggressively place a bet on Android, and now with the forthcoming launches of HP’s Veer and TouchPad devices and overall demand from our customers, we expect great things from HP over the coming years.”
WhitePages has reached an audience of over 11 million mobile users through its top 10 iPhone and Android reference apps, as well as its popular iPad, BlackBerry, m.whitepages.com, and text LOOKUP mobile offerings. The addition of webOS was driven by consumer demand, as well as the openness and unique capabilities of the platform, which gives developers plenty of room to innovate.
The new HP webOS app is loaded with popular WhitePages mobile features:
- Mobile People Search: Immediate access to the most comprehensive source of phone numbers and addresses. WhitePages’ database includes contact information for over 200 million people – that’s 90 percent of the US population.
- Local Business Search: By detecting user location, WhitePages’ easy to use business search provides fast results for nearby businesses by name or by category.
- Location Aware Store Locator: Popular stores are automatically suggested based on device location, with one-tap access to over 1 million verified businesses to find the best results fast.
- Reverse Phone Lookup: Putting a name to unknown numbers with ease, standard WhitePages search finds landlines and businesses, and premium search options are available for cell phones and other hard to find numbers.
- Save to Contacts: Add caller name, address and number to the phone’s address book with just one tap.
The new WhitePages app is deeply integrated within the HP device experience thanks to the innovative capabilities of the webOS platform, including:
- Integration with ‘Just Type’ webOS universal search to easily find and update phone numbers, email and physical addresses not already in users’ phone address books.
- A groundbreaking new cross-linking capability that allows app developers and merchants to use a simple “W” icon to populate order forms and delivery forms with WhitePages listing information within their own application. The FTD Mobile Florist and YouView Visual Voicemail webOS applications are supporting this today, with more applications to come.
- For HP webOS Homebrew enthusiasts, a patch is now available that enables phone number lookups directly from the phone dialer to identify unknown callers with a single tap.
The WhitePages on-the-go directory app for HP webOS is free and available immediately for download.
WhitePages is the leading provider of contact information for people and businesses in the U.S. With over 20 million unique monthly users and powering over 2 billion searches on over 1,500 sites including MSN and the United States Postal Service, only WhitePages offers consumers one-click access to more than 200 million adults, also providing them with the ability to edit and control their own listings. The company’s suite of mobile products includes a top-50 mobile website and popular iPhone, Android, and BlackBerry applications that have been downloaded more than 7 million times. WhitePages’ social buying website DealPop offers deals on local businesses around the U.S., at up to 70 percent off retail prices.
# # #
(1) HP Veer is an HSDPA Cat 10/HSUPA Cat 6 device.
(2) Within wireless coverage area only. Actual speeds may vary. Email, mobile number, and related information required for setup and activation. Required data services sold separately; unlimited plan recommended and may be required. Not all web content may be available.
(3) Wireless connection requires wireless data service contract, network support, and is not available in all areas. Contact service provider to determine the coverage area and availability. Connection speeds will vary due to location, environment, network conditions, and other factors.
WhitePages and their respective logos are trademarks, registered trademarks, or service marks of White Pages. Other products and company names mentioned are the trademarks of their respective owners.
Current Press Releases
Mar 29, 2013
Current Caller ID App from WhitePages Adds Call and Text Blocking, Surpasses 4 Million Downloads
Feb 13, 2013
LinkedIn Co-Founder Konstantin Guericke and Startup Guru Geoff Entress Join WhitePages Board
Press Release Archives